This weekend, we will be shifting our web and email hosting to new servers hosted on Google Cloud Platform. Our new setup is a feast of modern hosting tech, which we're really excited to offer. This is a migration that has been carefully planned to be completed with no interruption in service. We will be rerouting traffic to the new network on Saturday, June 9 at 8pm PT.
For 98% of our customers, no action is required: your website and email will continue to function throughout the migration without interruption. The 2% of you who manage your own DNS will be required to make manual changes to ensure continuity of service. If you are in this group, you will receive an email from us with specific instructions.
Yes, migrating to GCP is joining the Borg (no joke – that's the code name for Google’s internal server management platform), but their tech is fantastic. It also gives us a change to clear out some technical debt and setup a configuration that gives us some really powerful offerings, such as:
- A load-balancing nginx ingress controller.
- Let’s Encrypt TLS certificates for all domains.
- PageSpeed module for real-time webpage optimization.
- ModSecurity WAF with custom rulesets.
- Apache + PHP-FPM.
- Traffic routing on Google’s premium-tier network.
- Huge, cheap, fast, encrypted, detachable, SSD persistent disks – we’ll be giving out quota upgrades like candy.
- Deploying into Kubernetes clusters.
- Easier future migrations.
- Improved email deliverability via MailChannels.
- Advanced CI and CD deployment pipelines.